Monday, September 21, 2009

How Sweet It Is

My boyfriend, T, and I are dessert people.  It has been an essential part of our relationship from the onset of its development.  On our first date we had cupcakes AND gelato.  On our second date he took me to a mediocre restaurant, not because of their food but because of their great dessert.  Ironically, he subsequently declared he was full after eating and told the waiter we wouldn’t be getting dessert, which prompted an accidental outburst of “what?!” from me (he had after all, promised me cake)… which earned me a slice of chocolate cake (he’d promised!).  Anyway.  Like I was saying, we’re dessert people.  Which I love.  How unfun would it be to love cake and ice cream and all sorts of sweet treats and have to enjoy them by myself?  I mean, sure I’d get more to myself, but sharing certainly is caring… Ahh, I'm digressing, and that's all besides the point.  What I'm trying to say is that as dessert people, I often find that our little random thoughtful gifts for one another often come in the form of cake.

As a matter of fact, for our six monthiversary a few months ago he actually sent me a cake at work.  Some girls get flowers, I get cake.  And I must say, that’s the way I like it.  He found this bakery online that mails cakes to people.  They call themselves "Bake Me A Wish."  Believe me, this was a wish come true on my part.  :)  Even more awesome, I’d say, because the cake I received was actually pretty good... way better than I would think for having been shipped cross country.  It has to be left out for a little bit to defrost, but they do a good job of packaging the cake so once defrosted it looks as good (for the most part) as it tastes.  The cake I had was a chocolate fudge cake with a chocolate ganache and chocolate buttercream filling.  Sounds like a lot of chocolate but it was a little (super rich) slice of heaven.  That chocolate ganache man... it's one of my favorites.

The service itself was one of the things that impressed me the most.  I mean, who thinks to send cakes?  I guess it makes sense since you can order and send just about anything else these days.  I wonder how a bakery would do if they started taking and fulfilling online orders, similar to something like FTD.  Hmm... food for thought.  Anyway, like I was saying, this online service is pretty great.  Through Bake Me a Wish you can send cakes to friends across the country who’s birthday you couldn’t be in person to celebrate or even to a loved one who is serving in the military overseas.  You can say “here’s a birthday present that will stay with you forever – on your hips!”  Okay, just kidding don’t say that, but seriously how awesome is it that?  Check it out and send a little cake love to someone :D


This is how the cake comes to you...  You just take it out of the big box it was sent in, unwrap it, and defrost it for a few hours.


This is the cake all ready to eat.  It's a little sad that the decorative parts of it get a little messed up in transport, but it still tastes quite yummy.  Especially that chocolate heart in the middle.  I was the talk of the office that morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment