Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why Cake?

You may ask.  And I would reply, "good question."  It seemed like a good idea at the time.  I was up late unable to sleep, dreaming about the red velvet cupcakes I had just made (whose goodness I had yet to sample) and inspiration struck.  I like cake.  I like to bake.  I just got this super spiffy Martha Stewart cupcakes book for my birthday.  Why not bake my way through the book and record the hidden gems that arise?  Julie did it with Julia, why not Christine with Martha?  As I thought about it more, the idea blossomed from a midnight musing to an actual arranging of ideas.  With this blog I could post a recipe I particularly loved, or put up pictures of my most recent creation.  I mean, people have photo blogs all the time, why not about what I've created in the kitchen?  I mean, sure it's edible and not quite "art" but it takes skill, persistence, and a genuine love for what you're doing.  And every once in a while, creativity is indeed involved.  So my "why nots?", left unanswered, quickly became, "okay, I will."

The one question really remains in my mind is "who really will read about my baking exploits?"  I have no idea.  But I'm eager to record them.  If there is one thing I really truly enjoy doing for the sake of doing it, it's baking.  I love to purchase ingredients, follow recipes, and watch those many different ingredients come to life in a form entirely different from it's original one (that of gooey, lumpy, mess to yummy, scrumptuous cake).  I am, after all, one of those people.  The type of people who likes to make something out of nothing.  You know, the kind who likes to interpret life through things like baking and create metaphorical allusions from every experience of life.  I'm that girl.  And I'm okay with it.  This blog will probably be a little bit of this, a little bit of that.  Maybe deep thoughts will flow from baking.  Maybe I'll just show you how wonderfully amazing my red velvet cupcakes turned out.  The beauty of blogging is that the options are endless.

I hope that answers the question.  I don't know that it really does.  I tend to get rather verbose and forget the point I was trying to make.  What was I saying?  Oh yes... why cake?

Put simply, the blog exists because I heart cake.  I really do.  And I'm here to share it with you.  (And yes, I realize that all rhymes.)

1 comment:

  1. I want to try baking every recipe in the Tartine cookbook, might take me awhile though haha.

    ReplyDelete